Wednesday, April 8, 2015

A Lonely Place

It was a stormy winter night, dark and eerie. A narrow path with tall buildings on either side, shadows covering whatever little light there was. It made my spine tingle. I had a creepy feeling that something evil was lurking in the shadows. I looked around, there was nothing to see but crumbling walls with peeled off paint and shattered windows. Something terrible had happened along ago, I didn't even want to think about it. As I walked down the dark, desolate street, I suddenly heard a sound. I almost froze, it sounded like someone was follwing me. This was surely not a place where one wanted to encounter another being. There was no one I could call out to for help to save me from whoever was behind. The sound got louder and echoed softly in the narrow alley. I stopped myself from turning around. Forced myself to go on walking. My heart was pounding and the survival instinct took over. I pushed open the door of a large tower that looked like it might have once been an swank office and rushed in. Whoever or whatever was behind me followed into the once luxurious lobby. There was the sound of sharpening of knives. Or was it teeth? I still wasn't sure if it was an animal or a human. It could have been a hybrid, the kind of mutation that is dreaded the most. I hurried up the stairs and hid. It got quiet after a while, I strained to hear but suddenly the sounds had stopped. There was an eerie silence now. Where could thing have gone? Perhaps hiding somewhere, ready to pounce on me when I least expect it. Or maybe it was just gone. I remember stories of how the ghosts of experiments gone wrong roamed these areas at night. Perhaps that was what had been following me, one of the lonely souls. I suppose I was lucky enough not to be killed, as many other unfortunate people.

People stick to themselves. No one has any friends. No community or society, it's quite a lonely world now.

Here, in the year 7307, no one and nothing is ever safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment