Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Drifting

And so I drifted across the desolate, barren void. Darkness surrounded me on all sides, the cold setting deep into my bones.

Of course, without a space suit I ought to have been destroyed instantly, exposed to radiations and negligible pressure. But this felt surreal; so dreamlike, yet I was living the moment as if awake.

A lone, sentient being, drifting across that forlorn void, light from stars millions of lightyears away reaching my eyes after, who knows, billions of years.

Drifting endlessly, no beginning, no destination.

I came upon a system of planets orbiting a dying star, over fifty times the size of our beloved sun. A black hole was inevitable. The planets surrounding it were inhabitable and melancholy, yet the entire scenery was mesmerizing.

Drifting further, no place to go.

And all of a sudden, I was a speck outside a bubble, and it was as if someone had pushed a fast-forward button inside that bubble. The planets seemed to revolve around the star the same way you'd see electrons revolving around a nucleus in the atomic model. The star used up all its energy until the gravity was far too strong to be counteracted. At that moment, whatever controlled the epic bubble had hit the play button.

Drifting around, safe outside the bubble.

And then it happened.
The star exploded in a spectacular supernova and the gravity pulled the mass of star inwards, crushing it into a singularity with infinite density; all at once. The supernova explosion devoured the planets orbiting closest to late star.

The black hole was formed. The bubble of space dissolved.

Drifting along the unaffected dwarf planets.

A miraculous sight, etched into my memory forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment